Friday, September 28, 2007

Open House

Last night I finally stopped to take some pictures of the temple as the sun was setting. I've wanted to get some good pictures with a sunset since the outside and landscaping are close to completion. Every day tons of people take pictures of the progress, and pull up to take a look. Some college kids go up at night and sit on the sidewalk by the temple (the grounds are off limits). It'll be nice when the construction is done and all the dirt goes away!!

The open house was announced a couple weeks ago for December 29 - January 26 with the dedication on February 3. They're doing the same ticket thing they did with the Manhattan temple, which I assume is just to make the flow of people more efficient.

This temple has been a fun one. My uncle's architectural firm designed the temple, and I've heard that they probably will not want to do another temple. Lots of hassles and nit picky things, but I guess that has to happen to make the temple perfect. Our home teacher has helped put up some decorative rock inside, and said that one day it was taken down (thus ruined) because it was placed 1/4 inch to the edge instead of 3/4 an inch. Crazy stuff.

A couple interesting things are that the inside of the temple has been cleaned every day. All saw dust and construction trash left the building each night. And as the foundation was going in, the dirt surrounding the foundation on the outside was cleaned of any trash or debris and clean dirt was then placed next to the foundation.

The temple is a mile from my parents house, so none of us will have an excuse for not going. Not that the Idaho Falls temple is super far away (30 miles). :)








4 comments:

Kyndra said...

I love hearing stories about how picky it is to build a temple. It reminds me of how we need to always give the very best to the Lord and not just say, "oh, that will do at 1/4 inch even though the 3/4 is better." I love that the temple department doesn't make excuses for itself either. The end result is nothing short of breathtaking.

Jordan and Jandee said...

these pictures are cool Meg, they remind me how long its been since I've been up to Idaho.... when the foundation was just going in.

Anonymous said...

Holy Cow! The temple looks awesome. It will be so great to have a temple in the 'Burg. Thanks for puting up some pics. Later.

Lisa and Mike Marion said...

Wow! This temple is beautiful. I remember during the NYC temple open house is was so exciting. The energy was different in the city. DO you feel the same thing there?