Sunday, July 29, 2007

A day to forget

Yesterday started off in a good way. The plan was to go boating, so we got stuff together, packed everything up and were ready to go. First sign of things going wrong: my dad had invited way too many people and these particular people can be a bit annoying. They also brought additional people we hadn't planned on. Second sign of things going wrong: my dad couldn't find the connector cord for the trailer lights, so we sat at the stop sign 50 ft from our house for a good 15 minutes. We finally left our house a good hour after we had planned. Once we got to the reservoir we unloaded the boat and wave runners. Third sign of things going wrong: wave runner #2 wouldn't start, so we had to go get the trailer and load it back up. All this time we were waiting on the dock in the scorching sun w/no sunscreen, way too many people, total chaos and totally in the way for other boats that were trying to unload. Finally we got into the boat, leaving several people behind to go find a dock. Fourth sign of things going wrong: Audrey FREAKED out as the boat started moving. I think she must have been too hot, a little tired and a bit scared. She cried the whole time we were in the boat. Fifth sign of things going wrong: Half way down the reservoir wave runner #1 died, so we had to tie it to the boat and slowly tow it all the way back. At this point I had really had enough, so I took Audrey and drove the wave runners home after the second one was loaded. So, 2 1/2 hours at the reservoir and I didn't even get wet. Ugh.

Now to the second half of the story. :) I got Audrey situated with a movie and a lunchable and took a shower. As I was heading back upstairs I heard "THE" gagging cough starting. I bolted upstairs, grabbed the throw up bowl and got to Audrey just in time. I figured she had eaten too fast without drinking, so she ate the rest of her food. About 15 minutes later I noticed her eyes getting red, so I plopped her in the tub to wash off the sunscreen. She wasn't in the mood for a bath and screamed the whole time - gagging and coughing included. After we put her jammies on she acted like she wasn't feeling good. We rocked for a while and then she hopped off my lap, grabbed the throw up bowl and threw up again. This one hurt her throat, so she was not a happy camper. We rocked again until she fell asleep. I went to move her to the couch and noticed that she was a little red with parts of her body starting to swell up. She was having an allergic reaction to who knows what (sunscreen, heat, life jacket???) It totally freaked me out, but I figured the only thing I could do was give her some Benadryl. She felt better after half an hour, but was still quite puffy. The gang arrived home and that point and I found out my dad had invited said annoying people to have hot dogs. Yippee. Audrey was in a better mood since we went outside, but I was ready to have a quiet evening and put her to bed. She woke up screaming a hour and a half after I put her to bed due to her usual nightmare/heart burn issues we've been having. So fun.

Anyway, the day/night ended with me, my sister and my mom playing Settlers. I won 2 of 3 games, so that helped ease the frustration of the day. Audrey's eye is still a little puffy today, but she feels a lot better. What a day!!!!

Sad Puffy Eye


Looking much better today

5 comments:

Jessica said...

We have been having some bizarre allergic reactions to things lately too. Thank heavens for benadryl. Looks like we all had a bummer weekend.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Meg said...

Bummer Meg- I'm glad she is feeling better. Sorry about the boat ride.

Anonymous said...

Classic Scooter move! I know exactly how you were feeling. These are the experiences that we will talk and laugh about years from now...like the first part of your day.

angie said...

poor dear!look at those poofy eyes!