Thursday, April 19, 2007

729 days and counting


Yesterday my parents took Nathan to the MTC. He is off to serve in the Calgary Canada mission. It was sad to see him go, but he has been so excited for his opportunity to serve the Lord and that made it a happy day also. He had his papers ready the minute it was possible and called the bishop and stake pres. repeatedly to make sure his papers were sent in immediately. As soon as his got his list of items needed, he couldn't purchase and organize them fast enough. I'm grateful to have a brother so eager and prepared to serve a mission, and I have to admire his strength - I would've been terrified to go on a mission at 19.

One very positive result of me being home for the last year and a half has been the opportunity to bond with my youngest brother 11 years younger than me. He was 7 when I went to Ricks and 10 when I got married. I will absolutely treasure the time I've had to hang out, play games, watch movies, give advice, and just chat. I've been blessed to experience his senior year, first year of college, last baseball games, not-so-great girlfriend and then the absolutely amazing girlfriend. He's been totally darling with Audrey and she will definitely miss "Nae Nae."

So, 729 days and counting until Elder Mortensen comes back home - he will be a great missionary!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

He is so cute. I just love Nathan. That is neat for you to have been able to spend so much time with him. I had never really thought about the age gap. And amen on the awesome girlfriend. Hopefully she hangs around for a while. I wouldn't mind someone like her as a sister in law.

angie said...

729 is a lot of days - i've never thought of it that way