Our Thanksgiving was a quiet one with my parents, brother and sister. Our weekend of much snacking was happily interrupted by the early (12 days) arrival of my new niece the day after T-day. I'm kind of happy I missed out on those calories - will have to use them up during Christmas. :)
One thing I have been very grateful for is Audrey's 'super-play mode.' She played by herself all day Thursday going from one thing to the next. Her level of play gets very intense/focused with no suggestions needed and no extra playmate needed either. I am amazed at how long she entertains herself. It's like she's on a mission and doesn't want any interruptions.
My favorite, favorite thing on Thanksgiving is our homemade lemon meringue pie. Yuuuummy! Everything else we make is good, but I have a hard time waiting for the pie. It seems to have the right amount of lemon in it and I love our thick pie crust. mmm mmm I thought I'd share the recipe for those who may want it.
Lemon Pie
Mix together:
3 Tbsp cornstarch & 1 1/4 c. sugar
Add: 5 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 grated lemon rind
3 beaten egg yolks
Add: 1 1/2 c. water & 1 Tbsp butter
Cook on med until boiling, then cook 2 min longer. Stirring frequently. Pour into a baked 9-10" pie shell. Top with meringue while filling is still hot.
Meringue
4 egg whites (room temperature)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
8 Tbsp sugar
Beat egg whites w/vanilla & tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating til stiff & glossy peaks form & all sugar is dissolved. Spread over hot filling - sealing all edges. Bake 350 12-15 min. Cool
Pie Crust
Mix together/cut in:
3 c. flour
3/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp soda
1 1/2 c. shortening
Add: 1 egg
2 tsp vinegar
1/4 c. cold water
Separate into 2 balls and chill. Roll out and bake 450 for 10 min.
Monday, December 1, 2008
T-day best
Posted by Megan at 9:52 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I'm going to have to try out the pie sometime. I am very picky about lemon meringue but your descirption sounds right to me. Thanks!
lemon meringue is my favorite pie as well - see, our dessert tastes are still a match!
That pie sounds absolutely scrumtious! Sounds like you had a great Turkey day! Which one of your siblings had the baby?
Post a Comment