Monday, August 11, 2008

Raspberry Mania

My life the past two weeks has consisted of lots and lots and lots of raspberry picking. If you've been to my parents house in the summer, you've probably seen our humongous raspberry patch. We always put up over 100 jars of jam and most of it is given away as special gifts from my dad. Counting the jars made today, we've done 197 jars of jam this year. (I've picked at least 80% of the raspberries - my back has not been happy) There are still tons of raspberries, and we've also had several other people come and pick. Craziness. Since my brothers have sadly missed out on our family raspberry bonding experience, I thought I should put some pictures on here so they don't totally miss out. Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures of the ants, mosquitoes, spiders, bees, and other miscellaneous bugs that accompanied me in the patch. I also thought better of putting a picture of me in full berry-picking get up. Sweat, sunscreen and bug spray don't make for great pictures. :)



Raspberry patch of choice today. Berries were picked on both sides, but not down the middle.



Second Raspberry patch. Had berries come on first and can be a monster to pick. :)










Many, many berries to be picked - and this is the tail end of them.











My berry-picking shoes (for elder nainer)


Six batches of jam waiting for the pectin


24 bottles of jam - not bad for a quick 1 1/2 hrs spent in the patch

5 comments:

camille said...

I'm SO jealous! I just paid $50 for a small box of frozen raspberries that are being delivered from Oregon in the hopes that I might be able to make one small batch of jam! SO JEALOUS!!! I wish I was there this summer to pick a handful of the famous Mortensen raspberries.

Lindee said...

my mouth is watering thinking about it! i love the mortensen raspberry jam!

Mackenzie said...

Those jars of jam look delicious! We miss you guys!

The Burninghams said...

oh I am soooo sooo soooo jealous. I just planted raspberries a year ago and I am just not patient enough. i want lots and lots that I can go out and pick!

Bethany said...

I love your jam too!!! I really need to come over and have you guys teach me how to can stuff. My mom has no clue. If you run out of room for the jam, I'll totally buy some from ya!!