Today I played the piano for choir during sacrament meeting. I haven't played in sacrament meeting or in front of that many people in years. Needless to say, I was extremely nervous. My skills aren't like they used to be so I'm paranoid that I'm going to mess up badly. I also play the piano in relief society, but sacrament meeting is a whole different story. I started getting nervous the minute we started practicing in the chapel before our meeting started. Not many people were there, but I started getting stressed. During the meeting I couldn't pay attention to what the first speaker was saying, so I got out my music and just "practiced" while he spoke. Then when it was time for our number I swear I couldn't breathe right when I sat at the piano. Our number went fine. I think I missed 2 or 3 keys, but my brother out in the congregation didn't notice so I figured it was all ok. I hate getting that nervous. My hands went ice cold and shook through the whole thing. I wish I could just get in the zone and do it without the stress! I'm glad it's over, but now I get to look forward to next month's number and each month after that. Hopefully I'll feel more comfortable after each one!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
That would scare me too! You'll feel more comfortable with it over time I am sure. I wish I could play well enough to accompany people. Be glad you have that talent :-)
At least you can still play! When we moved into this ward, one of the 4th years had informed the bishopric that I played the piano...I have no idea where he got that idea??? Anyway, when we got to the ward, the member of the bishopric was all stoked and the very first thing he said to me was, "I hear you play the piano!" I thought he was joking, so I played along. He couldn't tell if I was joking or serious, so he told me he was serious and I just laughed. I told him that my piano skills are about as good as my singing skills...1 step above crappy! He was confused. Later I found out that someone had told him I played. Anyway, long story short, at least you can play and people can sing along to it! That is huge!
i didn't even know you played! i have started practicing in hopes of becoming primary worthy one day...i've got a ways to go...way to go!
Post a Comment