Friday, June 29, 2007

Why do mosquitos exist?

This is my question. Why in the world do mosquitoes exist? What is their purpose? There are a lot of bugs that I don't like, but I totally hate mosquitoes. Tonight I was picking some peas in my neighbor's yard, and in about 5 minutes I had 6 bites. The initial itching sensation has to be one the of the worst feelings. Now I've got to deal with these mosquito bites for several days. Putting alcohol on the bites shortly after getting them helps, but it seems like the bite will start to itch again right before it finally goes away. I'm one of those people that will get eaten alive outdoors when others right next to me won't get bit. In this world where West Nile virus exists attracting these little blood suckers is not good. Supposedly the chemicals in some peoples' skin is just more alluring than others'. Besides skin chemicals, mosquitoes can find you by detecting the carbon monoxide and lactic acid in your breath, sweat and heat from your body, and infra-red light from your body. Next week we will probably start picking raspberries from our gargantuous patch and I'm going to have to go in armed with lots of nasty smelling bug spray and long sleeves & pants (its been 90 degrees this week). I will probably still get bit. Nasty bugs...I wish they would die! :)

2 comments:

angie said...

the phrase opposition in all things doesn't bring a lot of comfort. sometimes i feel like saying - alright already, enough opposition!

Meg said...

Yep I so agree! I just got back from camping and am covered in bites!! We were hanging out in my parents backyard and had to come in because they were on the attack...NO FUN!